Friday, February 18, 2011

Owl #2

Lately I've been very interested in owls.  I've heard a stand-up comic deliver this joke about owls:  if you capture one and bring it inside your home and put it in a cage, the owl is the only animal that will plot your death every single day.  It's a funny joke - especially when the comic pretends to turn his head in a complete circle as he glares at you passing by - but it's been brought to my attention that there is no possible way anyone could know that about owls.  Nay-sayer.

The other day I heard a hooting outside my house in the pines trees, and since I couldn't visually locate the bird, I found the telltale hoot online and identified it as a Great Horned Owl, Bubo virginianus.  This is the link to the hoot-noise:  http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Bubo-virginianus-8.mp3  

I am so happy with this little guy.  He sits in my living room next to a little owl-shaped incense burner I got at the thrift store:


Whitewash and acrylic on wood.

P.S.  Thanks Seth Gonzales for the wood scraps!  Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment